• ABCC reveals they have two investigations underway
ABCC reveals they have two investigations underway
04 Jan, 2019, No Comment

Summary: THE federal building and construction watchdog has revealed there are two investigations under way into the Royal Hobart Hospital redevelopment worksite.....

WattElectricalNews manually sifts through the world wide web on your behalf to curate and bring news stories relevant to those within the electrical industry in Australia. If we are able to save you the couple of hours each day to sift through volumes of data to get to stories like these regularly, then we think we've done our job. After all time is money, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Australian Building and Construction Commission on Thursday remained tight-lipped as to the nature of the investigations but it is understood the Tasmanian Health Service has not been contacted for information.


The commission had previously confirmed one investigation related to workers’ entitlements, allegations of sham contracting and how people were inducted to work on the $689 million project.


“We confirm that the ABCC has two active investigations relating to the Royal Hobart Hospital,” a spokeswoman said.


“As these investigations are ongoing, it would not be appropriate to comment.”


It was revealed in September about 130 people — mostly foreign nationals — were allegedly not paid by subcontractor Accuracy Interiors for up to two months.


Project managing contractor John Holland-Fairbrother terminated its contract with the company and eventually paid the plasterers about $1.5 million in wages and entitlements.



Master Builders Tasmania, which inducted workers on to the site, has previously confirmed it was involved in the investigation.


John-Holland Fairbrother was contacted for comment.


In November, redevelopment workers downed tools over safety concerns, citing particular worries about insufficient lighting.


That industrial action was led by the Construction, Forestry and Mining Union.


Union assistant secretary Shaun Reardon disavowed the initial ABCC investigation late last year.


“If only we had a government that prosecuted companies who breached workplace laws by screwing workers instead of targeting the union that continues to expose them,” he said.


​​​​​​​

Emily Baker, 3/1/2019, www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/australian-building-and-construction-commission-confirms-rhh-redevelopment-investigations/news-story/75e475f428c85c7cd9f9d5891f9eec56

Leave a reply.
I want to post anonymously.
I want to use my name.
Would you like to be notified of new comments to this News Thread?           
Yes, email me as new comments are added