Electric shock victim Denishar Woods's emotional return home
Summary: An 11-year-old Perth girl who suffered a catastrophic brain injury after a severe electric shock has returned home for an overnight stay with her family.....
Denishar Woods woke up this morning in her own bedroom after being released from hospital for the night.
It was the first time Denishar has slept at her new home since being shocked with up to 230 volts after she touched a garden tap at their old public housing property in March.
The 11 year old was transferred by hospital staff to the temporary home that her mother Lacey Harrison has filled with some of her favourite toys.
Her mother said it was a really good night and is happy she’s home for now.
“She didn’t go down until about 11pm, which is a bit different from the hospital, but I think she was on overload from family and happy to be at home,” Ms Harrison told 9NEWS.
“We got a few smiles, got a few tears from a few people but it was nice.”
Denishar also had a special visitor, Mervin Brown was her next door neighbour who rushed to Denishar‘s aid when she was shocked.
Mr Brown was also shocked by the garden tap in what he’s described as a traumatic experience.
Today was the first time he’s seen her outside of hospital
“It’s very emotional, I’m speechless. I’m very happy for the family and Denishar,” Mr Brown said.
Their new home requires significant modifications including wall removals and bathroom renovations to accommodate Denishar’s needs.
Ms Harrison said HomesWest will pay for those works and hopes they will start this week, but admits the wait has been frustrating.
Denishar will return to hospital tonight before being allowed to stay at home again next weekend.
Ms Harrison hopes to receive an ex-gratia payment from the state government for the incident.